September Homeowner Checklist: 5 To Dos
It’s that time again… time to prep your home for the cooler weather that’s on its way. Get these completed so that you can take a much- needed break by taking a nap on the couch or curling up with a good book.
1. Change décor & bedding. It will soon be chilly and that means the lighter sheets currently on your bed, need to be changed out with layers of warm comfort like maybe wool or fake fur. Also, with the change in season, comes Halloween, Thanksgiving & Christmas so now is the time to swap out summer pillows and décor for the cozy cooler weather décor and accessories, such as a cozy throw and thicker window curtain panels, etc.
2. Check smoke detectors & carbon monoxide detectors. & replace batteries. Also, now is the best time to check the expiration date on your fire extinguisher too. Lastly, did you know that if your smoke detectors are yellow, it means they need to be replaced? It’s true, so do this life-saving maintenance this month for sure!
3. Schedule furnace & chimney maintenance. As the seasons change, it’s important to have an HVAC pro come out and maintain your furnace. And since colder weather brings about fireplaces being used, it’s also the perfect time to have your chimney inspected and cleaned.
4. Weatherstripping check. Now is the time to check all existing weatherstripping and replace if needed. And add any new to windows and doors that let too much air escape. Your budget will thank you. Your family will be warmer!
5. Inspect your roof & gutters. Roof leaks are the worst, especially during cold & inclement weather seasons, so now is the time to have a pro come out, clean out your gutters and inspect your roof (from on top of the roof) and make any necessary repairs now.